Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Surviving long term relations

No.. not your long distance boyfriend.. this is about relations or people you meet everyday...you live together probably.. or you work together. How does one hold the enthusiasm to be together after years together? How many people have thrived in such a situation? How do they manage it?

I have some people over for a couple of months. Initially I am happy. I do everything I can to make them happy and entertain them. We even become open enough and share a lot. But, at some point I realize that we are very different people. No matter how much I try to adjust and accept, my life feels different. I crave for my space. I feel that I have no time. I feel my life is crowded. I like my solitude. I use my gym breaks to get away from people. I know that I am one of those people who can never live long term with others. It's even a surprise that my married life is on. I like people. I like to meet people.. I like to host parties. I like to invite friends over.. but I think I like it short. Too much exposure is bad.. for an actor and for relations. I like to savour my relations. I ALWAYS want to think of my relations as beautiful and precious. I have when they develop dark spots. I hate stains. So, the moment you stay long, the beauty vanishes. The longing vanishes.. Finally the value of a relation decreases. You may be holding something very very valuable but just because it's with you all day, you fail to value it. I don't want that. I crave for those days when I was so much in love with my spouse. We were on phone all day and night. We would long to meet and spend time together. We'd long to have dinner together or watch a movie. Today, 13 years later, stains or no stains, the charm is gone. Everything is routine, like brushing your teeth. You do it because it needs to be done.
I feel that I have stopped realizing the value of what I have. But, I can do nothing about it.

So, maybe...it's good not to own what you love and crave for. It's probably good to meet friends after a gap. Long time no see - is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment