Friday, August 23, 2013

Europe travel

http://www.tripbase.com/d/awards/2011/categories/winners/europe.htm

Best of Europe travel blogs, that's what they say!

After seeing Paris Breakfast's pics through http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.in/  
I desperately want to feel Paris. Being a vegetarian and one who loves low sugar desserts, I don't know how much of an experience that would be but I am fascinated. Is everything in Paris so delectably beautiful? Will I be an odd woman out in the fashionable land of Paris? Will the journey satisfy my curiosity and inculcate some artistry in me? Sometimes, some of these magazines and websites paint such a rosy picture that when you see the site and go through all the hassle, it looks much less perfect. But, why do we aim at perfection in the first place? What is wrong with messy? I think only photoshoots carefully planned and executed can achieve that perfection. A real travel is messy. Plans go awry.. You will be forced to eat food that's not your choice. You will have bedbugs. You may catch the mosquite bite in Africa. You may lose your wallet and worst of all your passport. You may face discrimination. You may be running all the time, to cover a place. You may be all sweaty and dirty at some places. You may not have a decent shower place (as discovered in my recent trip to TopSlip).
All of this could happen.  But still, man travels. He travels to see new things. He travels to meet new people and cultures. He travels to form new ideas, to get inspired, to fall back in time or ahead of his time, to see things that he never imagined.
Ironically most travels don't achieve this -because we want to rush and see things. We Indians, most of us, do not observe carefully. We miss the finer details of travel. We want to cover everything so that it can be ticked off as done. We come back from vacation just to be tired and in need of a relaxing one. I was one among that class. Slowly I realized that I could not run that fast. I could not absorb things so fast. I started liking relaxed holidays. I would make a list of things to see.. and places to eat in.. but would not be very rigid. Yes, occasionally there are the regrets that I did not do what I wanted to (recently I wanted to pick some nice teas from TMJ Trader in Valparai but totally slipped out of my mind). But that's ok. Travel also comes with regrets. You looks shabby in desert pics. You're ill dressed for the beach. You had a severe episode of gas after rajma. All this happens. You are severely constipated (something I suffer during all my travels). If all this deters you from travelling that means, your comfort matters more than the travel part. So, stay at home (I give this advice to myself most of the times).

The wandering woman has a nice collection of travel quotes.

http://wandering-woman.blogspot.in/2006/12/to-travel.html

When I was searching about France and Italy I stumbled upon this nice blog.
http://mesamis.wordpress.com/

On my bucket list is:
Discover Rabindranath and food in Kolkata.
Visit wildlife in the North East.

France and Italy - cultural, historical and culinary tours.
Turkey - the whirling dervishes and Grand bazaar alone are enough to enchant me.
London and Scotland

Now that I am jobless and so is hubby, I have kept my desires at watch. It would be nice to see these places but I would be ok even if I die without seeing them.

To top it all, I saw a job opening at WOW. How cool! But, I don't know what is expected and whether it's my type. For one, I cannot travel too much. 1. My body violently opposes too much travel for some reason. 2 - I donno if I am that adjusting with unclean surroundings or people. 3. I am picky about food. 4. My war with heat - I get all sweaty in even moderately hot surroundings. It then takes all the fun out of the travel. 5. I am ill dressed mostly. That's not my problem, but I am sure people would hate to see such a terribly dressed person. (What would the French think of me?).

If I even plan a journey to Europe, I need to take months before to alter my sartorial choices. Given my 1X size, it's not easy to get decent fitting and decent looking clothes, but nevertheless I shall try.
Why not start a portal where you advice people what to wear where? Would make travel even more interesting. I remember in absolute horror the days I roamed the US in very colorful salwars. Some people did like them as they were unique...but I must have been a pretty odd sight.





No comments:

Post a Comment