Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bringing out the greatness in others

This is what I heard in "Grey's anatomy", season 9, closing episode. This is not a post on Grey's anatomy. Nonetheless, I shall make certain observations about the serial.
Grey's is more dramatic. Why hospital has such staff who are philosophical always? The way they talk in the OR, is dramatic.. They cram too many issues into one episode that none lingers... the characters never sit down and think peacefully, so it seems...They fall in and out of love as if it's a dustbin where you throw excess food. But, some conversations are gems.. some dialogues touch your heart. Coming from a woman, this is to be expected.

So, this line from the last episode of the season, stuck to me. It reminded me of my office going days. It reminded me of the things I wish I could change, in organizations. It reminded me of the one lady, who had a huge influence of many of our lives. Today, most office goers are stressed. Not just the IT folks. Every person I speak to - physio staff, hotel staff, building staff, teachers.. everyone is stressed. Why? Sadhguru has a deep discussion about this, but at the surface level - is it just the work or amount of work that's stressing people? In India, the attitude of your bosses causes way too much stress. Most people managers can hardly manage themselves. They get promoted from technical lines. No one spends time understanding his team - team members.. what their strengths and weaknesses are.. how to make them achieve the best..When you work in this direction in addition to the usual - make a schedule, delegate and follow up, pressurize routine... you will see better results. When you know a person's working.. you know if he's stuck.. you know how to help him. You trust him. You enable him. Most people respond positively to such reactions compared to blaming and pressurizing. Also when co-workers are co-enablers...who don't always stay competitive but in the interest of the whole project, lend a helping hand, you get better teams. Competition is necessary but given today's environment of job instability, it takes on a new avatar. That kind of killing competition - really kills. Personally I prefer conducive work environments where people know what I can do, what I can't do and would come forward to help me when I am stuck and feel free to take my services when they are stuck. We thank each other and share our joy. But that is a very ideal world..
But such environments will lead to less stress and you'll be shelling out less towards hospitalization in future.

About the other thing - bringing the greatness in others, I remember my boss. She was the only person in my life who inspired and pushed me. I have had good bosses but none like her. She understood everyone. She knew our limitations. We all worked hard under her. She used to back us up when needed, support us and comfort us that we can do it. Having this motherly comfort helped many of us improve ourselves and stretch ourselves. If only most managers emulated her model !

So, today when I saw Richard Webber bring out the greatness in his team, just because he understood the person's fear as well as their capabilities, I felt good. People don't think much of mentoring. Personally I have started feeling that it's a waste of time mentoring most people. When I was a fresher, I had no mentor. I struggled.. I fell.. I picked myself up. If only someone was there to say "It's ok. All of us fall.. You'll get up" I'd have felt better. When I take time out to mentor people and hold their hands through the initial stages most people do not realize that I am going out of the way to make life easy for them. They take it for granted. They do not feel the need to be thankful. One lesson I learnt since school was - Always thank your teachers. Anyone who teaches me anything, I am grateful. I wish others also followed suit. It's important to have a mentor in life. Hang on to a good mentor. I wish I get a job that I'm capable of delivering 200% and a mentor along with it!





No comments:

Post a Comment