Monday, August 26, 2013

Knowing your art or trade...

Yday a group of friends went to Habenaro. The waiter proudly proclaimed that they'd do a live demo of guacamole. We were a little tired I guess so no one was very excited nevertheless we did pay attention - aunty the oldest in the group being the most attentive. The dish turned very unappealing. There was no flavour of avocados. The garlic overpowered everything. I have never eaten guacamole with garlic. I expect people to know their trade. I won't expect a cook to know astronomy but he better know the dishes that he cooks. I'm let down by very mediocre restaurants in Bangalore, more so because they charge so steep and offer very little. I had voiced my dissatisfaction about the food scene in Bangalore to The Food Lovers and nothing happened. Every restaurant they heaped praise on, served me very average fare. I lost faith in them. Also, Burrp and Zomato has varied reviewer profile. My taste buds may not match theirs. So, I take their reviews with a pinch of salt.
The net result - I am wary of eating out. I can't let my hard earned money get washed for average fare. If you have nothing new to offer in terms of taste and variety (forget texture and presentation) - please don't get into food business. These pretentious also-rans charging steep prices has destroyed the food scene in Bangalore. Such people have put off diners like me. I am now content cooking simple flavourful food at home.

The next thing was an encounter with the delivery guy. I had precisely told him the address and how to take left, etc and the guy got lost while he was so close to our house. I was surprised! The only reason is - he did not listen carefully to my instructions.  You better know your trade man!


No comments:

Post a Comment