Sunday, August 11, 2013

Character artists

I read this piece on Divya Dutta's interview for The Hindu.

The point is when a supporting actor tries to bite a little more, the media and the public doesn’t care to notice. It happened with Divya when her “Monica”, where she played the title role, went unnoticed. “The sad reality is you just don’t need a good role you also a need a banner which can take it to the people. If the same film was backed by somebody like Karan Johar, it would have made headlines,” reasons Divya.

It made me sad. In an industry which is totally driven by looks - if you aspire to be a heroine but your face does not suit the stereotypical heroine face, you have a tough time. My heart goes to talented actors, who have been sidelined simple because of their physical appearance. When everyone was raving abt VTV, I literally hated Gautham for choosing Trisha. I have never seen the woman act. She is probably the only petite Tamil heroine. Is that enough? She can't even carry on heavy makeup or costumes. She can't dance. I wonder how she gets movies. On the other hand you have the supremely talented Padmapriya. I always imagined how VTV would have turned out with an expressive girl like her, whose eyes talk a great deal. I feel sad for many artists. They lead tough lives. Their world is very unforgiving. It's ruled by stereotypes, connections and power. I wonder how many millions of hearts have broken in such industries. Vidya Balan, with that beautiful face and amazing talent still had it tough. I loved Nithya Menon, Sindhu Menon, Padmapriya and many unnoticed heroines. I just wish they have peaceful lives, whatever they are doing. 

There were people like Saritha, Srividya, Shobha, Silk, Suhasini, Revathi, Shobana, Amala, Nadiya, Shalini and many more. Women had substantial roles in movies then. I loved Shalini in Alaipayuthey. It was the middle phase which saw them become wall flowers. Today, I like Anushka - nice mix of onscreen persona and talent.

I wonder what happens to the artists once they 'fade into oblivion' as the world likes to say. Do they vanish or what? How do they deal with the loss of fame? How do they deal with the loss of income? Are they financially secure? So many artists - actors, musicians, etc - die in a state of penury. It takes a very strong artist to accept that they will lose this fame and lead very different lives once the camera stop rolling for them. RIP - all talented artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment