Friday, September 13, 2013

Rabindranath Tagore and his fear of death

Sometimes it looks awkward just to post links, so I am posting the whole article here.
Source:
http://www.indiamike.com/india/books-music-and-movies-f4/tagore-s-time-and-timelessness-t15874/

Song Unsung

The song that I came to sing remains unsung to this day.

I have spent my days in stringing and in unstringing my instrument.

The time has not come true, the words have not been rightly set;
only there is the agony of wishing in my heart.

The blossom has not opened; only the wind is sighing by.

I have not seen his face, nor have I listened to his voice;
only I have heard his gentle footsteps from the road before my house.

The livelong day has passed in spreading his seat on the floor;
but the lamp has not been lit and I cannot ask him into my house.

I live in the hope of meeting with him; but this meeting is not yet.


The popular “romantic” preoccupation with joys of nature and love of all things bright and beautiful often gives way to the disquieted restlessness, questioning and reasoning of the “modern / post modern” Tagore. This could be a possible clue to the element of contrast in his poetry that is so renowned. Contrast of light and shade, day and light, young and old, fruition and waste. “Where shadow chases the light...” Note that the shadow chases the light and the light does not chase the shadow away.

Which brings us to the matter of death. Was he, like contemporary modern and post-modern poets, preoccupied with death? In so many of his verses in the Gitanjali, he talks about death. Closed Path, Boat, Sleep, Death, Parting Words, Threshold, Last curtain, Ocean of forms, Beggarly Heart, Sail Away, and many others. In Lamp of Love, he writes, “There is the lamp but never a flicker of a flame---is such thy fate, my heart? Ah, death were better by far for thee!” Again in Death, “O thou the last fulfilment of life, Death, my death, come and whisper to me!”

But more than a morbid preoccupation with death, it is perhaps helplessness at the world lost and tasks unfinished. In Song Unsung, he writes, “The song that I came to sing remains unsung to this day.” Then again in Flower, “I fear lest the day end before I am aware, and the time of offering go by.” Hence we come back again to the theme of time and how time flies by and there so much to accomplish. In Endless Time, he writes, “We have no time to lose... we must scramble for a chance. We are too poor to be late.” In the Last Curtain, he talks about so mush beauty and wonder in the world which we never realise or appreciate and the time of death comes too soon. “...I see by the light of death thy world with its careless treasures.”

Was this the possible reason for his frenzied travel through the world? To see and delight in all that is, before the time is lost. A journey to seek, and see and also one of self realisation. In Journey Home, he writes, “The traveller has to knock at every alien door to come to his own.” Was there also fear that his time would run out before he grasped enough? In When Day Is Done he writes, “From the traveller, whose sack of provisions is empty before the voyage is ended.” He must have been troubled by the thought to have repeated it in Closed Path, “I thought that my voyage had come to its end that provisions were exhausted and the time come to take shelter in a silent obscurity.” So then, was it the journey leading to death? In Farewell he writes, “A summons has come and I am ready for my Journey.” Was he then seeking the “formless” through his travels? And as he was getting older, he probably transferred his search to understanding death, may be even preparing for death, and waiting for it. In Ocean of Forms he writes, “No more sailing from harbour to harbour with this my weather-beaten boat. Into the audience hall by the fathomless abyss I shall take this harp of my life. I shall tune it to the notes of forever, and when it has sobbed out its last utterance, lay down my silent harp at the feet of the silent.”

So inspite of popular belief, he does give the impression of a disquieted man who was romancing the unanswered. And so he writes, in Roaming Cloud, “...take this fleeting emptiness of mine, paint it with colours, gild it with gold, float it on the wanton wind and spread it in varied wonders.” That is perhaps the essence of his poetry. What we are left with, are poignant songs that echo “through all the sky in many-coloured tears and smiles, alarms and hopes; waves rise up and sink again, dreams break and form.” And we remember his Parting Words, “Let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable.” Life is unsurpassable. And that is the lesson we learn from a reading of the Gitanjali.

No comments:

Post a Comment