Thursday, September 12, 2013

English writing in India

My well read friends have a pet peeve. We don't read Indian authors. They's trash. Salman Rushdie is an exception. Once, I gifted an Indian author to a friend and it went to the trash can straight, I guess. I don't know if Arundhati Roy, Kiran Desai, Aravind Adiga and Vikram Seth are in that list or its the new generation of bestsellers like Chetan Bhagat, etc.

I have read one or two Bhagats. Sometimes there is humour. In terms of style, there was none.
Story - used to be what you could have come across in your own life or maybe he was talking about your own life.. possible!

Last few days, I happened to spend some time on one of the new generation author's blog. The blog started much before her books came into existence. Some of the posts looked like the topics that go through my head. Nothing great about the writing. I did not have great expectations for her book. Once, just to promote Indian authors, I bought some literature and I felt cheated. After that, I am pretty wary when I feel like picking these new hotsellers. So, back to the lady in question, what is wrong with me? Why don't I respect her books? Why don't I support a middle class person who, out of sheer hardwork has succeeded? I have rooted for so many people, why not her?

Is it that I will root only for the elite or too economically backward people?
Indian media has created celebrities out of commoners. That unappealing swayamvar, was too much for me. Yet, it was a bestseller. It made some people celebrities. I, for one, never felt attracted to that concept of celebrity. That is probably the reason I did not root for this lady. I am not a voracious reader. I have read just a handful of books. But, I feel there are 2 kinds of writers. One - who have some basic plot and work hard on it. Others - some kind of magic writers, who produce magic. I value the second kind. There is something very different in their DNAs I guess. The first one seems like mass produced cookies. Look at the new bestsellers in India! For every 1000 Indians there is a bestseller, just like there are music bands in every nook and corner in Bangalore.

So, I was researching what's wrong with Bhagat or a Bansal or Amish?
Why do the so called snobs, trash them? ( Am I included here?)
I ended up with an interesting pile of links which gave me a good insight into most of the pros and cons of Indian writing. Atlast, I retire, satisfied with this whole research.

http://www.firstpost.com/ideas/chetan-bhagat-mediocre-middlebrow-and-mahaan-100106.html

Bhagat tweeted[and then deleted] this little piece of literary wisdom: “Good grammar doesn’t make you a good writer. A good heart does. Else English teachers would be writing bestsellers.”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/ideas/chetan-bhagat-mediocre-middlebrow-and-mahaan-100106.html?utm_source=ref_article
 http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-05-29/special-report/29596966_1_subtitles-watch-english-language
Bhagat tweeted[and then deleted] this little piece of literary wisdom: “Good grammar doesn’t make you a good writer. A good heart does. Else English teachers would be writing bestsellers.”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/ideas/chetan-bhagat-mediocre-middlebrow-and-mahaan-100106.html?utm_source=ref_article
Bhagat tweeted[and then deleted] this little piece of literary wisdom: “Good grammar doesn’t make you a good writer. A good heart does. Else English teachers would be writing bestsellers.”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/ideas/chetan-bhagat-mediocre-middlebrow-and-mahaan-100106.html?utm_source=ref_article
Bhagat tweeted[and then deleted] this little piece of literary wisdom: “Good grammar doesn’t make you a good writer. A good heart does. Else English teachers would be writing bestsellers.”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/ideas/chetan-bhagat-mediocre-middlebrow-and-mahaan-100106.html?utm_source=ref_article
Bhagat tweeted[and then deleted] this little piece of literary wisdom: “Good grammar doesn’t make you a good writer. A good heart does. Else English teachers would be writing bestsellers.”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/ideas/chetan-bhagat-mediocre-middlebrow-and-mahaan-100106.html?utm_source=ref_article

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?277582
He is also not burdened with a brand name associated with unreadable literary novels.

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/true-life/one-mistake-of-my-life
This one above is the best. I adore this article and the woman!
He later went to a rival firm and became a publishing sensation overnight, and to this day, our boss complains bitterly that he missed out on the biggest bestseller of the decade because he went by the judgement of three Bengali women—a flawed demographic, if there ever was one! The subsequent glossy product looks at me reproachfully (even sneeringly) from the shelves of bookshops, from the shoulders of ‘traffic lights booksellers’, at railway stations and airports. 
As it turns out, my stint in publishing didn’t last very long. I was soon seduced by the world of electronic news. But I guess I’ll always share the dubious distinction of having turned down Indian publishing’s biggest commercial success!


http://www.firstpost.com/india/why-chetan-bhagat-sells-despite-the-mediocrity-tag-417177.html
5,00,000 copies of an initial print run of 575,000 were sold to retailers in a day, and booksellers have already begun to place repeat orders,” reports the Mint. Given that, there must be something right about them. The answer lies in the fact that the mass market is not intellectual. It’s hallmark is mediocrity.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/why-chetan-bhagat-sells-despite-the-mediocrity-tag-417177.html/2?utm_source=ref_article
The above is also a very well written piece with a fresh point of view. He says most of us start with the crappy stuff. Crappy music, crappy movies, crappy books.. but if we constantly strive to improve our level, we evolve. What you think of Bhagat depends on your current stage of literary evolution.
This is pretty much what we talk about in many of my blog posts. So, happy that Vivek Kaul echoed it.

http://shingkhar.blogspot.in/2013/03/young-india-wants-to-rid-country-of.html

Mediocrity is a curse that has cast its ominous and dark shadow over us and now the shadow is threatening to plunge us into darkness.
I think somewhere along the line, mediocrity has made us comfortable in our skins with all its blemishes, warts and scars. It has throttled our motivation and lowered our aspirations and expectations. Things have reached the point where mediocrity rides low on our noses in the form of mediocrity-tinted glasses. The large view looming before us is dull, faded and skewed at the edges.
 
http://rachnachhabria.blogspot.in/2013/08/the-2-sins-of-writer.html
This one is a good read which just points out what I have mentioned - cheating the reader with a bad book. It's not directly related to our research.

So, I agree with Vivek Kaul and assume that the masses will transition upwards, by starting with mediocrity and working up to extra ordinariness.

No comments:

Post a Comment