Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Preeti Shenoy on home makers and her dreams that came true

One of the best things about the internet is, you search for something and you find something much more interesting that what you searched for!



While searching for Roohi dixit I stumled upon Preeti Shenoy - the name sounded a little familiar.
Maybe I had read about some of her book releases in The Hindu, don't remember.

I did a quick catch up on who she is, what she did and a little about her books.
I was impressed with her progress but not that much with the writing as such.
But, here's a nice write up on following your dreams, for women, who leave their jobs to take care of their young ones. I am sure, many many women would love it.

http://justamotheroftwo.blogspot.in/search/label/Parenting

One thing she mentioned that I sooooo agree with is:

The problem with Indian society is that if you are a 'stay-at home' mom, you are never treated on par with 'working mothers'. Somehow in India, stay-at-home moms are truly not given the importance they deserve, as the work they do has no 'economic significance'.  I faced my share too. In fact, I remember after one of the office parties, I had cried and cried because of an insensitive remark by one of the 'working women' about 'housewives'. (and years later, it is so darn satisfying to have 'made it big' :-))

To this day I have a problem with the term 'housewives'. They are definitely not 'house-wives' they are home-makers.
Also, her advice to home makers:
So, if you are a stay-at-home mom, feeling bad about giving up your dreams, your interests, have hope.
Children grow up. The time that you spend with them will never come back. Nurture your interests side-by-side and do not quit doing that one little thing which you do for yourself, which gives you joy. (In my case it was working with children initially, and later writing).  Hold on to it. Nurture it. Protect it. It is easy to forget it in the daily rigours and demands of parenting and running a home.


No comments:

Post a Comment