Sunday, February 23, 2014

The malleable mind - thoughts

The mind is so malleable. Impressionable. Pliable. It's softer than playdough.
It's more imprintable than sand in the beach. It's flexible. And it's untrue that only the teens are at an impressionable age. We're always at an impressionable age. At any point our minds are ready to take in impressions.

The beliefs, ideologies, aspirations, goals, conflicts, morality - how do we settle into these and become these?
How do they affect our behaviour, our career, our relationship, our choices?
What we call as character, identity, personality, mind, mine - are all the same thing. A mashup of what we see, read, hear and do.
How do we deal with old beliefs that have over-served their purpose and destroy the last traces of such old beliefs and stereotypes?  How long does a conditioning or stereotype survive in us? Do they ever die? How do these memories and thoughts and sterotypes and conditioning enter us in the first place? Whatever has gone in, starts acting like a virus. It corrupts you somehow. It plays on your behaviour, your choices and once it is in, I am no longer in full control. I need to safeguard my mind, like the Royal bank vault, rather much more safer than that. I ought to ruthlessly filter out every information that comes in, for, every piece, has the potential to wreck me, to render me helpless, to cause chaos and conflict within, thereby preventing me from being what I am.. preventing me from seeing and using my full potential...preventing me from seeing the beauty that actually is there.. and forcing me to enter endless wars with myself about who I am and who I wish I was. These chattery, never ending thoughts render me helpless. They freeze me. They hold me hostage. I am no longer free. There is no longer a free will. There is no longer will power. There is no longer any peace within. I lose my freedom and potential and peace - to these thoughts.

Are we deterministic and predictable despite all the differences unique to us?


How is it that corporations are able to produce products that entice millions of people? How do you manage to convince a billion people to buy your product, no matter what the price point is?

Can someone carefully plan a slow, meticulous propaganda mechanism and influence me and mould me, in deceptive ways to bring me to a state where I am convinced of the need to buy a certain service or product? If all the companies hired cognitive neuroscientists who know in-depth about the mind, the pattern of learning, the thought pattern, etc can we ever hope for an escape?

If we are each unique, what is the herd mentality? How do we let society and trends influence and convince us?

How does any media - newspaper, TV, internet, people around us - shape and influence us?
If man is left alone without any media, how would he grow?


http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/malleable-mind/201204/our-malleable-minds

No comments:

Post a Comment