Tuesday, February 4, 2014

M.A in Philosophy

So, here's one of the few - aware choices that I've made - to study Philosophy.
When I joined Isha Yoga, I was reading Sadhguru's blogs. Most of the things made sense to me.
Somewhere, someone mentioned the vedas and vedantas in some spiritual link. I think it's from "Autobiography of a yogi". I made notes and picked up a few Vedanta books. They made even more sense to me. I have read quite a few books by Sadhguru and this Autobiography of a yogi, Vedanta Treatise and now Nithyananda's "Guaranteed Solutions".
Somehow they appeal to me more than fiction. Probably because I can read these, analyze it in my life's context, derive meaning and stay peaceful. Life has definitely become more relaxed and peaceful and my spouse can feel the effect too.

So, I wanted to know how I could pursue these interests as a formal course. I then landed up at M.A in Philosophy, which, atleast on paper, has everything that I am interested in.
I wish this is what I am really searching for.. and I hope I can even go as far as pursuing a PhD.
It would be so nice to own a Doctoral degree.

Though all this looks fine, if one wants to make a living by philosophy, I don't know if it can happen.
http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/degree-subjects-your-options/301046-what-can-i-do-with-a-philosophy-degree

For once, I understand things better. Man has basic needs. Only when they are fulfilled, he has time for spirituality. So, he needs a job, which pays enough to meet his needs and take care of a family.
That is precisely why our families want us to do professional courses, which can be called a "profession". If you're an artist or into any form of art of courses like this - literature/ philosophy/ history - unless you get a teaching job or writer's job, you're doomed. You may sit in your sofa wondering how you'll pay your bills... and what would have happened if you'd done Engineering.
It's sad that some things have gained more importance and monetary worth than others. That's the world we live in and we should accept and work in tandem, to both achieve inner satisfaction as well as do something that can generate a livelihood.


No comments:

Post a Comment