Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Doing something that is hard

What do we all do when faced with things that are hard?
For 99.9% people - the only way is escapism. We escape from the problem.

I have been escaping from certain things - my dispassion for computers and algorithms.
So, I was thinking - there were so many colleagues who did not like their job, yet they did it to feed the family. That purpose can them energy. They had to work whether they liked it or not.
We are a new generation where we harp on passions and finding meaningful work. Look throughout history and you find people willing to do any job just to feed themselves and their family.
So, how do they go about doing such a job? Sure they do feel resentful at times (or most of the times) but the fear of losing that job and the fact that this job pays the bills, gets them going.

Many people don't have the luxury to follow their passions. They are forced to work.
Why is it difficult for me? How can I support myself with such ideologies?
Have I taken my job lightly just because I have a working spouse who supports me?
Probably yes. Unknowingly, I have let that make me complacent.
If I was single and I had to earn to pay my bills, I'd be forced to stick to a job. My ego would be thrown out of the window. I personally know a guy who should have quit long back but still continues with a job where he's not needed to be. I wonder if his ego doesn't hurt him. He is the inly earning person and he has a huge loan to pay. That makes him continue work. I was far better than him atleast. My work was more visible and I was less complacent than him about work.

So, that brings me back.. sometimes we need to do things whether we like them or not.
How can I bring myself to do that?
a) I will pick something that I do not like to do and spend sometime every day or every week doing that.
b) I will pick a difficult to handle person and instead of running away from them, I try to interact more with them and try to understand their perspective.

So, I am going to add these two to my yearly goals!
Sometimes you have to stop the constant chattering of the brain and just get down and do the work.


No comments:

Post a Comment