Thursday, February 27, 2014

Predictive analysis through my new lens

Read
http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/26/workday-acquires-hr-predicitive-analytics-company-identified/
and
http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/01/senior-facebook-netflix-scientist-joins-identified-to-help-it-fix-professional-search-take-on-linkedin/.

and
the foll text sent by Addi.
http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishnamurti-teachings/view-text.php?tid=22&chid=68517&w=&s=Text

Musings...
Life is full of surprises. If it hasn't been for you, you better wake up.

Predictive analytics human resources software...wah fancy long term.

The data architecture at XXX company enables machines to more quickly draw inferences about YOU AND ME based on context, natural language and a host of other signals.

So, essentially while I go figure out what the heck this LIFE thing is, which I am so unable to predict, a machine can quite accurately predict me and my choices.
So much for Darwin's theory of evolution. If I am so predictable am I evolving?

So can we say "the society works doubly hard to create perfectly predictable creatures while everything around tries to keep it as a bag full of surprise"?.

If I cannot figure out life but a machine that I created can figure out me, who's smarter? How is it possible that I can create a burger that is liked and eaten by billions of people? Are we that SIMILAR? If things are this predictable....We're not questioning...We're conforming - out of fear, out of conditioning....out of fear of losing name, fame, money...That doesn't make me feel intelligent or proud... Why on earth should my phone be smart? I should be smarter than it right? Instead of making machines smarter, I'm all for making people smarter...less in conflict with themselves...or the society..and in general happier. Sigh....

There is this Cafe Bistro Claytopia here. There some children had made 100 odd butterflies. Each one was sooo unique reflecting the child's uniqueness... Was wondering, how come we all end up liking the same McD burger? Prasoon Joshi was telling, when there was no cartoons, when you tell children a chudail ka story, everyone would imagine a different chudail! One would imagine a chudail which is very tall.. one would imagine a chudail which is one eyed.. one would imagine a ghostly chudail and so on.. We created fertile imaginary grounds in the children....to creatively explore things.. But now, with Doremon and Tom and Jerry playing always, all of them get beaten up to think of only 1 type of chudail.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment