Sunday, January 20, 2013

Is it about looking good or is it about living good?

So, last night I was thinking - how do some people manage to put in so much time and effort towards grooming and looking good. Even for actresses - doesn't it get boring to get dolled every time you step out? Even if you need to gym - you're on some makeup. Do they love it always? How important is it to look good? 
Since I have not been blessed with good looking genes, nor am I the groom and try to look better kinds - I may sound cynical. I have tried a couple of times to add a dash of makeup and ended with bad skin. So, no makeup for me. I'm happy reading about makeup - no trying that stuff on my skin. I never reached a point where I felt better with a bit of makeup. So, I gave up. I felt that I looked much better in shabby hair and casual way. I made that my signature. When people dress and they look good, they have an incentive to continue doing that. For me, I felt that I was doomed to be this way. So, I slowly accepted it. I am now learning to be happy with the way I am.. I am actually very proud of myself for that. It is such a difficult thing to achieve. I deeply feel that looks are superficial. I want to concentrate on being a good human being every day. For that, I will do anything but I have no motivation to look good. I would spend 10 minutes reading some book than do something for my feet or face.

As if Sadhguru and I were thinking the same thing - here's his blog post.
http://blog.ishafoundation.org/sadhguru/spot/what-does-sadhguru-see-in-the-mirror/
The most important question to ask is, is it about looking good or is it about living good? How wonderful you feel within yourself is more important than how wonderful you look. If you are really feeling wonderful, everybody will feel wonderful in your presence. If you are blissed out, everybody who comes in touch with you, one way or the other, will begin to experience that bliss. Have you noticed that a joyful face is always a beautiful face? A blissful face is a glorious face. If you look good maybe you are a piece of art, but nothing more will happen. Sculptures can look good, art can look good, anything can – I am not saying looking good is a bad thing. All I am saying is how much time you invest on it in your life clearly tells you who you are because if you have something of substance within you, looking good will not be such a relevant thing. It doesn’t mean that I don’t take little care to look good; obviously I do. The important thing is, how much time and attention is given to looking good versus being good. Maybe I am coming up with this philosophy as I have no hope of looking good, you just have to do with what you have. Well, there are doctors who can fix the look, but it is not that important to me. So, here I am the way I am.
You see today that people can’t take their hands off their hair for a moment. This is simply because there is not enough substance. If you create enough substance within yourself, whether your hair is up like this or that does not matter; people will still love you for who you are. If you are planning to make an impact in the world either as an actor or whatever; that impact will happen because of your intensity and substance not just because of the arrangement of your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment