Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pursuit of good health and weight loss

So, I have been struggling with my weight. I was always plump. But after my chemo, I turned ino an ugly shape. I am conscious abt what I eat but my weight keep piling. I hate being this weight. I tried yoga and good diet but unfortunately I did not continue it beyond a few months. So, I regained what I lost within 6 months.
So, 2013 I need to be strict. I can't let people trample over me for being overweight. The doctors who handled me - some of them were really mean and insensitive. That hurt.
I believe in sustainability. Weight loss needs to be sustainable. So many times I have lost 8-10 kgs by the wrong methods, only to regain it soon.
I do not have the luxury of time now. My health risks scare me. I have hypertension, thyroid, PCOD and I have an impaired fasting glucose. Plus, I am trying hard to have a baby. My docs want perfect numbers before I try next time.
Anybody who knows the As of these diseases know that you need to bring your weight to normal for all these to come down.

Tyler Weeks lost 132 lbs in 1 year by following a sensible diet and gymming 5 -6 times a week. I am committed to good health more than weight loss. With this newfound commitment, can I achieve similar results?

Current weight: 237 lbs.
Target: 140-143 lbs.

Method:

Input less calories.
Burn more.

Current state:

Feeling very tired. Unable to do 3.5 kms walk. So, down to 2.5 kms.
Not doing yoga.
Watching diet and entering it into myfitnesspal. So keeping calories between 1800-2000.
BMR: 1500 calories.

Medications:
Hypertension
Sugar
Thyroid.
Can't get a more dangerous combo.

Motivators:

That's the way I wanna lose weight.


What I have already accomplished:
How often do we reward or compliment ourselves? Me - almost never.
So, I will start with what I have achieved, before jotting what I need to do.

2012 was a good year. I left my job. I lose a lot of money but I cannot keep a job that puts me at a risk for heart attacks and strokes. I became hypertensive due to my last job and now I have to pay for that for the rest of my life. I am no longer willing to do that. I cannot afford any more health risks. 

So, no job - more free time, less stress. Am slowly loving it.
Very less eating out.

Minimal unhealthy snacks. I don't bring snacks home. Mostly homemade stuff - 4 pieces vada or bajji.

No eating junk when I'm hungry. When I am hungry I eat FOOD. Food that is filling.

Limited desserts.If I feel like - I eat Nestle dark chocolate or a cup of coffee or fruit salad.

I try to add lots of salads and soups whenever possible.

I do measure what I eat.

Mostly doing rotis for dinner.

When someone offers sweets - I mostly avoid or give it away to someone.

Very less sugar consumption due to all of the above.

Eating more veggies nowadays. Earlier potato was the only vegetable.

No heavy breakfasts like pongal/ parathas.

Almost no pickles and chips.

So, my eating habits are quite good now. Occasionally I take 2 slices pizza or eat vathakozambu(which is really calorific) or binge at Sanjeevanam. 
These are minor guilt trips. I'm trying to make more healthy changes.

I did learn a lot of yoga but did not follow it. I will address that soon.

But I do walk most of the days for 3.5 kms. Moderate pace.

What I need to do:

Either enroll in a gym or buy a cross trainer. Have checked some shops but price is high. I hate wearing gym clothes and coming home soaked in sweat.
But I don't want to spend so much upfront and there's no space at home. So debating which is best - home gym or gym.

Restrict calories to 1800 atleast and continue weighing and logging everything I eat.

My SURREALISTIC day should include:

1 or 2 shambavis. (30 mins each)
Cross trainer. (45 mins)
12 sets of surya namaskar. (45 mins)
3-4 hata yoga poses (15 mins)
1 sitting of infra red bed (40 mins)
Kapal bhati, Anulom vilom (20 mins)
Sukhasana + AUM chanting ( 20 mins)
Kalpavriksha meditation (30 mins)

You think it's possible? For the kind of unplanned person that I am - I can't even achieve 1 or 2 of that. Not all are physically taxing but they have pre-requisites like - no food for 4 hrs prior to this. That's a killer for me. I am feeling hungry always now. Maybe once I start my yoga, my hunger will subside to 2012 May levels. I was on such a frugal diet then and did 2:30 hrs of yoga religiously. Boy! Did I feel good and flexible then!

So, a more REALISTIC start:
1 shambavi. (30 mins)
Cross trainer - (45 mins)
6 surya namaskars. (30 mins)
1 sitting infra red bed. (40 mins)

So, 2013 - Here I come. I am better prepared than before and more committed.






No comments:

Post a Comment