Thursday, January 24, 2013

Appreciating others

This one is not about oneself. It's totally for others.
I had to write this after viewing Airtel super singer T20.
A TV program and such complicated thoughts? Yes.

This was a cricket style match. Teams were formed and matches played.
What I learnt from that ?
Atleast in South India, people SEEM to be appreciating each other. Whenever a singer sang well, the opposing teams, his own team members, the audience and the judges expressed their joy and love and praise so openly and honestly.
You might dismiss this as a gimmick, but I could find out that it was genuine. They cheer for each other and more than individual performances, I found the team games brought in more of the singers because they used up what was best in each other. They used their strengths together to succeed. They consoled each other when their singing didn't live up to the mark and the judges had scored them low. I saw everything - all kinds of emotions in the singers and a matuirity far surpassing their age.

I have a knack of reading people (which has failed me quite a lot of times)..
But - this one was true. Same with me, when I saw children and youngsters sing, my heart was filled with joy and eyes with tears. I had seen many of them through years and what I enjoyed the most was how they had grown. How they had worked so hard to shape their voice and master the sea of music.I appreciate people who work hard more than those born with talent. If you're blessed with a beautiful voice, your journey may be easier. If you're not, your journey is tougher. So, when people have started with really unpolished voices but end up being great singers I can't but share their success and celebrate for them.

This is the same reason why I find appreciating someone's beauty superficial. (See, beauty has to figure in every post. Loser! Loser!). Because, one's beauty, skin and body type are determined by genetics. There's nothing much you do for your looks. But, if you're beautiful and talented in some way, I'd appreciate you.

Y'day I  met an architect neighbour of mine. I had hardly spoken to her earlier. She's one of the prettiest women around and I believe extremely rich. When I went to her place and saw her work I was dumb founded. She and her husband worked for 7 years to recreate the Puru Jagannath temple at Hyderabad. They are now doing around 400 crores worth malls. She showcased her works and explained in detail about her projects. She looked like a woman who knew her job in and out. She was very smart. I was proud of her. I like women who know everything about their job, who excel at what they do. It makes me proud of my fraternity. So, cheers to more excellent women and talented people!

Another thing I learnt in my corporate life is - most projects derail because we all work against each other. If everyone followed the singular goal of making a good product, making the company more profitable - that would not happen. In our selfish pursuits we trample others. In a bid to establish our superiority we criticize others work. We don't want our peers to succeed. Only we should succeed. This mentality derails projects and delays them. This lack of co-operation and lack of appreciation is what most companies need to address. If we accept who we are and how talented we are and also accept that many others are more talented than us and there is nothing we can do about it, we'd be in a happy space. We should strive to make each other better - through feedback, tutoring, mentoring and reviews. If we all strive to do that - we can all sleep peacefully each night.  We know that when we are sick, our colleagues will help us. When we have bad days our boss will understand. When our children fall sick someone will take over. Isn't that wonderful?

Bosses should know the strengths and weaknesses of each team member. They need to invest time understanding the team so that they can leverage each one to the best. They should not set unrealistic deadlines. They should be smart enough to assess timelines for each task. When the team is in crisis they should fight for the team. They should boost team morale. They should stand up for the team and the team should stand up for the boss. They should make a plan so that everyone grows in the team. There should be mutual trust and respect which will lead to openness and honesty. My previous boss Ms Jayanthi was such an excellent example for that. We all worked hard to make her happy. We loved working under her. It's a joy I may probably never ever see again.

Only collaborative and co-operative environments work. All other environments are doomed. We carry home so much stress. Why?

Do you want to die of a heart attack because of job tension? So many people today are hypertensive, diabetic, obese, chain smokers, depressed and cardiac patients - due to job stress. I want to fight that battle. To make workplaces more enjoyable. To make going to work each day such a pleasure that we hate weekends. If only someone made me a manager :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment