Monday, January 21, 2013

All things food!

So, you know that I am a foodie. I read food blogs, food magazines and everything food. So, due to this new found "world cuisine in a page, at my home" magazines, I have learnt some new ingredients.
I made a wish list sometime ago about what all I would like to try:



Spanish saffron
Pure kashmir saffron



Middle eastern spices.
Dried rose petals
Orange blossom



Truffle oil

French Butter (I have used Elle Wire available in India. How French is it actually?)
Provencal Veggies - the tomatoes, pumpkins, fresh fennel! I am dead.
Macaroons! ( I want to learn to make beautiful macaroons)


Pure maple syrup
Great cocoa powder. (Hershey's is what I have been able to get hold of so far)
Madagascar vanilla


good chocolate - callebaut, ghiradelli, valrhona (I did try Callebaut and it didn't give in well to melting)
Bourbon vanilla (Yes, I did get one but nothing amazing about it)
Sun dried tomatoes (Bought one at Costco - was drenched in oil and so threw it)
Dry porcini/ oyster mushrooms.
Parmesan cheese. (Have tried the varieties at Spar, Food Hall, Nature's basket and really loved it on sesame lavash crackers).



Kahlua
Amaretti, Tiramisu
Tia Maria
Different olive oils

Pastas and pizzas - authentic Italian.


Varieties of coffee and french vanilla cafe. ( I instantly fell in love with Bru exotica Guatamela. Never did I realize that coffee could be such an elixir! I wish to try other flavours - Colombia, Brazil, Kilimanjaro, etc)

To be honest, many times my quest for great ingredients has ended in disappointment. The pure vanilla extract and callebaut did not kick in a punch.
So many of these exotic ingredients have let me down. So, I am cautious now while I buy. I may not end up liking what I buy! I still prefer farm fresh tomatoes, carrots, herbs and fresh fruits to these exotic looking, fancily named, exotically packaged, super exorbitantly prices products! Maybe I have learnt my lesson. But since I took the pains to make a list, I am posting it here.






No comments:

Post a Comment