Sunday, January 26, 2014

Why people would rather read about meditation than actually practise it?

For starters, I am part of that gang.
We had this discussion at 2 different occasions and I thought it worthwhile to jot it down.

Many people start meditation for various reasons. Initially they sense a certain calm and bliss because most of us lead such hectic lives. So, they get hooked and go ga-ga. But after a few days, the effects seem to vanish. You no longer feel that initial kick. So, they give up.

The thing with any spiritual practice or for me, even my gymming sessions is, I don't see any immediate results. I know some people who are crazy about running (read husband and other species like him). I gives them an instant high and they feel energetic all the time. That is a huge reward. For many people like me, I see no energy rise after my 90 minute gym workout. I do it, because I need to exercise. So, when we have to regularly do things that do not seem to carry instant rewards, we tend to drop off. I think it is for similar reasons that most weight loss resolutions get tossed out of the window.


For those wishing to lose a lot of weight, it's a very slow process. You'd much rather eat that pastry and stay happy and fat than slog at the gym to see results after 3 years.

But then, what's it with reading about spirituality or meditation? Most of the times, when I read some spiritual article, it is pretty enlightening. I feel "wow"!
You have learnt something new. That's a good kick for people like me. So, many of us prefer to read about meditation than actually practise it.

But, the truth is, no amount of reading will make you self-realized. Only when you do your sadhana religiously and progress step by step will you get any close to self realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment