Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Smart gadgets and smart homes

After my recent rant about how all my time and energy is spent housekeeping, I was looking
at what's new at the Las Vegas consumer electronics show.

LG announced a new Home Chat smart platform that works with its home appliances. All you have to do to manage all your smart home appliances is send them a text message.
This will work with appliances such as a refrigerator, washing machine, robotic vacuum machine among other things. Just send them a command via text message, or just ask them a question like, "Hey refrigerator, what groceries do I need?" And it will tell you.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-ces-2014-samsung-lg-lead-smarthome-push-with-connected-appliances-20140106,0,4381746.story#axzz2qO1rRQPU

On reading the above kind of smart appliances, the only thing that came to mind is this.
When smart gadgets + internet started connecting people, most people expressed that FB made them quite upset with their own lives.

Now, with smart homes becoming a reality, if my fridge and your fridge talk to each other, they too will get depressed and one will need to go to rehab.

Fridge 1: OMG! Your the latest model? I was upgraded 7 months ago! Poor me!
Fridge 2: Oh! Yeah! Also, I'm the best shade of pink!
I've been voted the most photogenic fridge so far. Also I have a
100G connectivity and I have George Clooney's Aston Martin in my
friend's list. Also, my handles are all embedded with swarovski.
Fridge 1: Holy you! Also, JLaw endorses you. Lucky you man...
Your owner eats cronuts and Kahlua mousse and wears Prada!
My stupid guy eats ridge gourd and potatoes! How gross!
Fridge 2: Yuck! I'm un-friending you. You stink! Bye.
Fridge 1: Commits suicide by short circuiting itself.

Unless people reach a certain level of maturity, this obsessive level of minute-by-minute info sharing by others is going to make some feel that their as-such good lives are really depressing and unsuccessful. Instead of smarter appliances we need deeply rooted and self-confident people.
I am glad that flowers and trees do not facebook each other. Else, they too would start comparing who's more beautiful and who's more popular and join the rat race and die.
The only people who are content and happy and those who are not connected. eg: My mother, the wise lady at Nature Cure hospital, etc.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment