Friday, January 3, 2014

Why do we need to feel superior?

I don't know if my observation is right, but we do certain things because of certain reasons - known or unknown reasons.

Why do girls have this constant need to look beautiful? Why do men crave success?
Why do we feel proud of some things?

How it all started...

One of the conversations with a friend...went in the wrong direction and started to hurt me.. things which I wanted to bury, were nudged and I started feeling resentful and angry. I wanted to be on the other side.. the one giving advice, not the one being adviced. I had tried something and it did not work for me, but for that person, without working that hard, it materialized. It made me resentful. It made me appear like a failure (atleast for sometime). I didn't like it that someone was making me feel miserable, for something that I had given up!

There is nothing wrong in taking advice. I have sincerely taken advice from so many people, but sometimes like this, I feel like tearing my hair.

Why?

On deep thought we all want to feel superior. Many of the things that we do, are to ensure that we are at the top, so that we don't have to "listen" from others. My parents have told this to me in many ways, many times. I never got the point. Now, it just struck me. We don't want to feel that we are inferior to anyone. For example, why do most people want to slim down? To look good.. to feel accepted.. to feel superior. A fat person is an easy target to shoot. Unknowingly we aspire to be thin because we associate beauty and slim with "superior". We want to be first in class, because it makes us superior. Most of these chases are for that.

But, if we are so rooted in ourself and we know what we want and where we are going, there is no comparison because all of us are unique and our paths are also unique. There is no superiority or inferiority there. Right? Atleast I learnt a lesson that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment