Thursday, January 30, 2014

Escaping the mundane-ness of everyday life

When I look at each day, it is pretty similar to the previous day or the day before that...
So monotonous sometimes that I feel I am re-living an old day.
In this boredom, we look out for entertainment. Our lives are pretty un-interesting to us.
Anything from food to travel to movies to music can entertain us.
We're interested in the lives of others. We gossip about celebrities near the coffee machine as if we knew them too well. We long for their lifestyles.
We just want our lives to be a bit more entertaining so that we can be more happy.

Many aspire to be celebrities.

What would happen if our lives themselves were so much fun that we don't need a separate entertainment?
Why is it difficult to accept "doing nothing"?
How can we totally immerse ourself in our experiences? 

Once you're married, after a year or two (months for a few people), the newness and excitement wanes. It's a dull affair then on. Same with most other things. That's why the chase is better than the life after the win. Nobody makes a movie on the "happily ever after" part - coz that's mundane.
There will always be millions of new love stories.. but after marriage, it's all the same for most.

I am just wondering, irrespective of who I am, can I make my life more joyful and entertaining
- so that I don't need any other form of entertainment..
- so that I greet each day with a smile and not a dull look..
- so that I don't take my relations for granted...
- so that I have enough energy to do what has to be done during the day and not whine about my work..

How do children start having these feelings like us? They get bored of their toys too..
Why does it happen? Why do they get bored?

Too many questions but no answer as such.

======================================================================
http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishnamurti-teachings/view-text.php?tid=48&chid=56794&w=&

Having lost touch with nature we naturally tend to develop intellectual capacities. We read a great many books, go to a great many museums and concerts, watch television and have many other entertainments. We quote endlessly from other people's ideas and think and talk a great deal about art. Why is it that we depend so much upon art? Is it a form of escape, of stimulation? If you are directly in contact with nature; if you watch the movement of a bird on the wing, see the beauty of every movement of the sky, watch the shadows on the hills or the beauty on the face of another, do you think you will want to go to any museum to look at any picture? Perhaps it is because you do not know how to look at all the things about you that you resort to some form of drug to stimulate you to see better.

It is only a mind that looks at a tree or the stars or the sparkling waters of a river with complete self-abandonment that knows what beauty is, and when we are actually seeing we are in a state of love. We generally know beauty through comparison or through what man has put together, which means that we attribute beauty to some object. I see what I consider to be a beautiful building and that beauty I appreciate because of my knowledge of architecture and by comparing it with other buildings I have seen. But now I am asking myself, `Is there a beauty without object?' When there is an observer who is the censor, the experiencer, the thinker, there is no beauty because beauty is something external, something the observer looks at and judges, but when there is no observer - and this demands a great deal of meditation, of enquiry then there is beauty without the object.

Beauty lies in the total abandonment of the observer and the observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment