Friday, July 25, 2014

Does teaching quality degrade as you spend more time teaching?

This question is applicable to every field.
But, for me, I ask this with respect to a specific situation.
In New Acropolis, I see many Level 3 students so much in love with the school.
I asked many of them whether it is the volunteerism part of what is it that drives them.
They all unanimously said that it's the course and its effect on them, more than the volunteerism.
So, I was wondering, why is it that I was not wowed. What could be the issue?
Am I totally missing something?
One thing is - we were merged twice into new batches. Our classes were rushed into.
My old classmates left. They were a pillar of support for me.We were kind of the same wavelength and we had good quality discussions. Whereas the new group is more individualistic and we never meet or discuss. So, it got a little boring for me to adjust.

But on the other hand I was wondering if the content seemed boring or too esoteric.
The delivery, definitely could be improved.
But, I was also wondering, is it that these people started with a lot of enthusiasm and somehow due to constant repetition some of the teachings got watered down? Has the quality of teaching gone down? When I look at the 3rd level students I wonder, what keeps them so glued?
What happens when someone teaches for 15-20 years? Can they maintain the same level of enthusiasm? I have seen that the topic which my teacher understands well or probably likes, she delivers it much better than others. The delivery is a whole new level. That time I understood that because the content is so big and probably they themselves do not have reference texts, the quality cannot be improved beyond a point. Also everyone has personal preferences and we do give more time and attention to some things than others. So that covers the difference in impact between certain classes.

I don't know. Can we ever completely know why someone likes something? There maybe 1 or 2 obvious reasons but a million hidden reasons that support his decision. We will never truly know.

No comments:

Post a Comment