Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Battling inner contradictions and identity

Nowadays I realize that I am full of contradictions.
I am learning to accept it.
I am generous, I am miserly.
I am happy, I am depressed.
I am lazy, I work hard.
I am empathetic, I scorn.
I want to work, I want to sit at home.
Most often I have opposing feelings. Maybe it's part of the evolution. I think many artists and writers have felt and expressed these. Will these opposing voices ever quieten?

Yday in this state of anguish I wrote "When you buy a book - the story comes free. You pay for the author's anguish, despair and heartaches". But, can you ever pay for the anguish?
An artist's life is dreadful, that much I am very such of now.
Here I leave, with some lovely quotes from brainpickings.org :-)

“Identity is something that you are constantly earning. It is a process that you must be active in.”

The contradiction between your body and your mind, between your mind and itself. I believe these contradictions and these tensions are the greatest gift that we have.

But this ability to recognize and embrace our inner conflicts and bipolar tensions, is a blessing rather than a curse. 

“Your greatest creation is yourself. Like any great work of art, creating a great self means putting in hard work, every day, for years.”

You have, which is a rare thing, that ability and the responsibility to listen to the dissent in yourself, to at least give it the floor, because it is the key — not only to consciousness, but to real growth. To accept duality is to earn identity. And identity is something that you are constantly earning. It is not just who you are. It is a process that you must be active in.

This contradiction, and this tension … it never goes away. And if you think that achieving something, if you think that solving something, if you think a career or a relationship will quiet that voice, it will not. If you think that happiness means total peace, you will never be happy. Peace comes from the acceptance of the part of you that can never be at peace. It will always be in conflict. If you accept that, everything gets a lot better.

You are going to change the world, because that is actually what the world is. You do not pass through this life, it passes through you. You experience it, you interpret it, you act, and then it is different. That happens constantly. You are changing the world. 

You will be so many things, and the one thing that I wish I’d known and want to say is, don’t just be yourself. Be all of yourselves. Don’t just live. Be that other thing connected to death. Be life. Live all of your life. Understand it, see it, appreciate it. And have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment