Saturday, August 9, 2014

Respecting all women

I ain't no saint. I never confess to being one. I have my flaws..
So, while I always respected the women who did household work (maids) and labourers, shop keepers, etc - I never had much respect for the fashionista types.
Yesterday 2 things happened. I was reading Vogue somewhere.. and saw an article on Shilpa Shetty - how she juggles her kid and business + read this article abt a food blogger being invited to a car launch event and the things that followed.

http://saffrontrail.blogspot.in/2014/07/an-open-letter-to-those-who-think-my.html

After reading it I realized, we're all so closed and judgemental, aren't we?
I am no exclusion to this.
So what if some women know fashion and make money out of it?
So what if somebody is a food blogger and is invited to a car launch and makes some money out of it?
So what if someone is a new mom and despite her busy schedule she takes time out to paint her nails?
So what is someone totally neglects their house but goes shopping?
So what if all the star wives trot around in high heels and open interior design shops?

Why should all this bother us?
What is wrong with us? Why can't we accept that people are different and they have different interests, different tastes, different levels of tolerance, etc?

Why do we want them to be like us? Are we perfect to start with? Don't we have flaws?

I maybe the bookish types but I have no business disrespecting anybody in the fashion world.
Maybe women are born with an artistic sense - not engineering sense. I do see that while I have struggled to grasp engineering - many women just accept and follow their paths. Why struggle with something? To prove a point to the guys? So what is many women hate science, maths and engineering? Just because it's a man's world - do we have to adopt to their tastes? If a woman genuinely likes engineering let her do it and we should all standby and support. If she genuinely liked fashion let her open her boutique and we should all support her. There is no X is better than Y here - neither in the profession nor in the person. The better we understand this, the more genuine and open we become.

If you're comfortable in your own shoes you show respect to others by letting them be who they are.
So, I will remember from now on, never to look down any profession or professional for what they do. 

The following is also an eye opener.


http://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model

I was very touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment