Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fine tuning FB notifications

I think FB and Twitter will die a bloody death :-)

Why... Initially you're all interested.
It's a platform to catch up with others. You want to see what the world is upto, what people are doing, etc.

Then there are those endless pictures.
Pictures and pictures that exhaust the first few pages of your FB home page.
You have forwards on topics that do not interest you.
You then fine tune. You stop notifications when you see certain people posting continuously about topics that do not interest you.
For me, that would be - politics, cricket.
Then there are the occasional irritating forwards that do the rounds. Irritating in the sense, ones that were written without thought - which wrongly affect public perception. Recent ones - All children get awesome moms, but not all moms get awesome children.. The way it was put was like "No mother gets good children". Such things change public perception wrongly. Someone like me could get hurt with such a post.

And its most difficult when such things come from people you know.. and you kind of trust their judgement to not post horrific things. I don't even know if I have the right to get angry. Who am I to say that someone is wrong or they should not post certain stuff?
Everyone has the same freedom of speech and expression that I have.
But some articles are just plain negative or biased or what to say.. in bad taste.
Today I was in real turmoil over what to do?

If I do not have this tolerance, am I eligible to be on Facebook?
Do my words hurt people? Do I scare people?
Do my articles negatively affect people?
Do I appear as the word-ie kind of person who shows off that she can write?
I don't know..
I believe in keeping intentions clear..
I re-assess my aims of using FB again.
a) Propagate good thought.
b) Humour.
c) Connect.

I think people should have broad aims of how they intend to use FB..
What they expect from FB and what they put out on FB.
Since this is not happening for 95% folks, FB will kill itself.
People will find increasing number of annoying posts. They have to fine tune their filters everytime they see junk but still junk will seep in.
They will find their self esteem bombarded by some posts.

Most importantly, you don;t know the person in FB. You have no right to judge them.
You donno what makes them post certain annoying things. I have some well meaning friends who just post pictures all the time or about their children's achievements or their vacations or the hotels they eat in. It gives off different messages about you. Sometimes I too wish they didn't so blatantly express their status and richness. But again, do I know why they posted it in the first place? Maybe they never ever felt that it could be a put off for someone, else they would not do it.

Someone may have the same issues with me.
I think this connected world is complex. You don't know the human and their reasons behind doing things. My neighbours know me. My immediate family knows me. Beyond that people don't know what motivates you or what phase of life you're in, etc. So they may not understand the context of a post. It's complex.

So, given all these - I am wondering.. Should I use FB? Is it giving me any value?
There are very few good articles I come across through FB.
But I use FB to voice my opinions. To spread some thoughts. As a pseudo writer I need audience and I use my FB as my audience. I think it's not right. Maybe I should re-evaluate it.

Should I quite FB? Thinking....









No comments:

Post a Comment