Saturday, June 21, 2014

Winning changes nothing

“I Feel as if I’ve Been Let in on a Dirty Little Secret: Winning Changes Nothing.”

agassi“But I don’t feel that Wimbledon changed me. I feel, in fact, as if I’ve been let in on a dirty little secret: winning changes nothing. Now that I’ve won a slam, I know something that very few people on earth are permitted to know. A win doesn’t feel as good as a loss feels bad, and the good feeling doesn’t last as long as the bad. Not even close.”
–Andre Agassi, Open: An Autobiography
Agassi is referring to the “negativity bias,” the phenomenon that means that generally, bad is stronger than good. Alas.

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2014/06/i-feel-as-if-ive-been-let-in-on-a-dirty-little-secret-winning-changes-nothing/

No comments:

Post a Comment