Thursday, February 28, 2013

The oscars...

I usually never watch the oscars though I sometimes keep track of the movies that won, just so that I can catch some of them when they screen.
Last year I saw "The artist" and it was pretty non moving for me. It was dull for me. So, I know that my taste and the Oscars may not match.
This year I watched the show live and was mesmerised at the glamour! Oh god! How do these people manage to look so breathtakingly beautiful?
Again, some of the best dressed didn't appeal to me. But, I liked a few.

The surprise for me was - ADELE! What a voice! Sheer magic, such a deep, moving voice. It was the only breathtaking performance of the day. Ever since Skyfall is playing non stop here. The stage was awesome too!
I can never understand or appreciate all the jokes at the Oscars. Especially the boobs one and Sally Fields one were so distasteful! I don't know how people bear it. It was gratifying that some of the leading ladies did show their displeasure at the tasteless humour.

So, I saw my favourite George Clooney with his arm candy. The best part was he told one of the interviewers "You talk to her first" as she was more interested in Stacy's dress and quipped "I sewed all the sequins myself". This guy is just so funny. When ARGO was named the best pic, it looked like he was sincerely happy for Ben more than for himself! It was nice of him to let Ben do all the talking after the oscar and take the spotlight. I was like "George manages an Oscar even if he does not act in a movie. That's great!". I have a lot of respect for George (we're now on first name calling terms). The very next day, George was in Germany, awarded for his humanitarian acts. Somehow I feel connected to him. I can get his humour, wit and some persona and charm of his - just attracts me. I love his mannerisms, his smile! After a looong time, here is a man to adore! A man you wish to own! The most coveted piece of real estate in Hollywood has to be George! So, enough of it now..

So, I went n saw a lot of old oscar acceptance speeches. Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Cuba Gooding Jr, Sandra Bullock, etc. The Oscars are considered dull, boring and studded with tasteless humour, maybe they are. Most of the times, the winners seem skewed and chosen due to political motives or for adhering to popular American themes. So, we know that when some movies are made, they are made with the Oscars in mind, which beats the purpose. A movie needs to be made to tell stories that need to be told, to shake and wrench people, to unprove everything they ever believed in, to terrify them, to take them to fantasy shores. These are some of the criteria before one should begin filming or before he thinks of making a movie. The scene in India was also not great. Maybe a few good ones here and there - small budget, regional movies. Much of the bigger ones stuck to commercially viable themes and didn't appeal.

So, I'm all starry eyed now. It's a great achievement to make a movie that millions love! I wonder how it feels to stand at the podium when you receive an Oscar or a golden globe! The pride when your colleagues give you a standing ovation. It must all be so dizzyingly stressful and fun as well. I just envy these guys so much...
  


No comments:

Post a Comment