Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Prejudice

Prejudice is something that I would strongly rate as the first most negative trait in me. For some reason, if I develop a negative opinion about something or someone, I will not give them a chance. It takes me a long while to get rid of the prejudice.
eg: My husband forgets things a lot. I have to remind him to take the car keys, the wallet, phone or ID card. Somewhere or the other this prejudice about his forgetfulness makes me pass a remark or two which hurts him.
Similarly I have a friend who is not truthful many a times. So many times I have found that he lies in order to portray himself as some mahaan husband or mahaan dad that I have such a low opinion of the guy. So, once when he was telling us of a route to reach home, I just did not take his opinions. I did not think he'd give me a better route! It's not that I think I am the best, but just that I think that person will not be good enough.
I have similar issues with few other people. I develop this prejudice over time and it affects my thinking. Sometimes even when the person is right, I take a long time to acknowledge that. My first reaction would be "Hah, another bluff" or "another nautanki" or "phir se bhool gaya".
Having a well informed opinion about someone is good. It protects you from being fooled or taken for a ride. But prejudices affect us negatively also.
This is one action item for me. I want to get rid of the effects of prejudice. Sometimes my prejudice just shows up at unwanted places :-) I cannot hide it always.

No comments:

Post a Comment