Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The MAC kolam

For a year or two, ever since Radhika's marriage got fixed, I have been wanting to check out MAC. Every beauty magazine or online makeup blog raves about MAC products. My initial tryst with MAC was disastrous. Their prep+prime broke my skin. It was too harsh for me.

Despite that, I had a craze for MAC products. So, after a long wait and a lot of introspection, I booked an appointment for the makeup class. I had to wait 30 minutes and in between the session too the lady had to attend to customers walking in. That apart we spent 3 hrs almost, doing my face.

First she cleansed the face and applied the MAC moisturizer. At Rs 2100 it was quite pricey but it felt light and luxurious. In terms of texture I haven't tried anything like it (I am not yet into Estee Lauder, Chanel or Dior - so I am not used to luxury products).
Then she applied Matchmaster 6.0 foundation with a brush. She did one side and I did one. She said I did it like a pro, but I was surprised. Then she applied a concealer on all my dark spots. We just dabbed and lightly brushed the concealer on those spots. Then we blended a little bit of foundation again on those areas. This took a long time - the foundation, concealer and then loose poweder + compact. And.. the face did look cakey and there were issues along the expression lines and the dark areas of my skin around the lips and cheeks look even horribly dark. I was disappointed with it, but I had not expected anything more, so I took it easy.

Then she did the eyes. We chose a pre packed palette. She applied a paint pot as a primer. Then we did the eyes in 2 ways. One was too dramatic and one like a day wear. There were 3-4 shades used...one for the whole eye, one for the brow line, one along the out V to dramatize.. Then she put kohl on the upper/ lower eye line and on the tips of the upper eye lid. She smudged it using a dark eye shade. This alone made the eyes look terrific. I loved what the kohl + dark eye shadow smudge did to my eyes. This is something I decided to master.

Then she filled my eye brows with a brow pencil. Since I have a scanty brow, it looked dramatically made up. Still, we could tone it down to give my brows a decent look compared to the way it is now.

Then she applied the peach blush on my cheeks starting near the ears and moving down and in, towards the cheek. It was so light, I guess I could use it sometimes. Then she used a dark studio fix powder just under the blush area - from outer ears to cheeks to contour the face and make it thin. I could see some difference but couldn't make much of this step.

Then we filled the lips fully with a plum liner and applied one of the lipsticks given on the palette. It did look subtle.

Then she drew everything out for me, which was such a time consuming task. The pic is attached here. The total worth of products she used on me would easily cross 30K!

For once, I behaved smart and shortlisted the products that I really liked and ones which I was likely to use more. Mostly the eye products I was planning to use. Even then, the eye brow pencil, kohl, eye shadow brush, etc was so expensive, I decided to drop them for cheaper brands. These products most good brands make decently well. So, I ditched these.

I bought the palette in brown by Rebecca Moses, a paintpot and an extra eye shadow and that set me back by 6500 (the cost of the course was 6000 so I was happy that I kept my purchases close to it).

Lessons learnt:
1) I don't know if foundations suit Indian skin. It makes us look cakey, made up and clear skin definitely looks much better than make up. That said, I want to talk to the lady and see if she can call me at a time when she makes up someone else, so I can see the effect of all these products on a better skin than mine. As for me, I look better off without all these foundation, concealer drama.
I definitely want to see how celebrities are made up. They look so natural in the magazine covers, I wonder how they achieve it.

2) Eyes are something which you can do a little or more and change your looks with. Most Indian women can do eye makeup to look dramatic.

3) MAC is expensive. Their eye shadow brush is Rs 1700! So, it's very important to choose specific products and find cheaper options for others. As far as I see only the eye shadows of MAC are famous. I don't think high of their foundation, etc. The moisturizer definitely is great but worth 2100? Donno. Even the lip shades - I was not too wow...









No comments:

Post a Comment