Friday, December 13, 2013

Mid life career crisis.. comeback issues .... post retirement plans.

I am at this strange crossroad of what to do next. It's not a good space to be in. I don't think many people in the software profession enter this crossroad. It's a relatively safe, well paying field.
But, what if that is not your passion?

I was just thinking of some people who had "retired" early. Let's take Jyothika. She was a top actress when she quit. What does she do now? Does she not feel that itch to get back to work?
We're very unpardoning with married heroines, aren't we? I see so many heroines from Sridevi to Madhuri to Karisma trying to make a decent comeback and somehow they have not been very successful. Sri to some extent has been lucky. English Vinglish did do well. So, she's in a relatively better space than the other two. I can see Simran doing some wasteful TV roles like Khushboo now.
It's not a matter of pride but it's probably financial constraints that drives these people to do TV. No comments about that. Who are we to judge. We don't know how tough their life is, do we? They have a lifestyle to adhere to. I wonder if they feel their pride and ego hurt when they have to do things which they don't truly admire, but have to do it for financial reasons.

I was just watching SRK's interview and noticed how old he looked. He's still a top hero. Whereas a heroine really has "limited shelf life". What if she is passionate about acting even if her face doesn't look young? What is she supposed to do? I can see a very small handful like Deepti Naval or Shabana doing some meaningful movies once in a while. All other yester years have vanished. In this cut throat world, they have to agree to do item numbers, etc in the hope of being noticed and being offered better roles. Heroes never age but we've set strict bars for the heroine. What double standards? Nowhere is this difference in attitude more apparent than in the film industry. I really pity the women. I really wonder what they do after a break in their career. It's an unfair world out there.

So, while I wonder about my own future, here's my heartfelt sympathies for all these women out there..struggling...waging wars each day.. being rejected for stupid reasons...May life be easy on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment