Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Aging and living a rich life

I recently read "Tuesdays with Morrie". It was a simple, fascinating read. It spoke a little of love, death, aging and relations.
One of the thing that I really loved in it was - you want to go back in time just because you did not live it well enough. You're in your 20s and you think a lot about your teens or 30s. You live your 20s less. So, when you move on to your 30s you miss your 20s.

I loved that point. I already read that we are less and less inhabiting our bodies. We're less and less inhabiting the present moment.

http://www.brainpickings.org/tag/alan-watts/page/2/
http://www.brainpickings.org/2014/01/06/alan-watts-wisdom-of-insecurity-1/

Excerpts:

Indeed, my own New Year’s resolution has been to stop measuring my days by degree of productivity and start experiencing them by degree of presence. But what, exactly, makes that possible? This concept of presence is rooted in Eastern notions of mindfulness — the ability to go through life with crystalline awareness and fully inhabit our experience.

Nearly a century earlier, in his funny and wise reflection on feeding the mind, Lewis Carroll admonished that “mental gluttony, or over-reading, is a dangerous propensity, tending to weakness of digestive power, and in some cases to loss of appetite.” And yet, cut off from both our bodies and our brains, we constantly oscillate between distraction and mental gluttony, seething in a cauldron of our own making, unwilling or unable to still our minds long enough for the truly meaningful to settle and coalesce.

Analysis:
Why do we miss our old days? Because they were too good or because we rushed through them?
For me, I think I never lived my childhood consciously. So I think I miss it. I wish I was more conscious and wise. But now, I try to live in awareness. I can see myself becoming more patient and better over time.

I have realized that what is given to you, is life. The life that others lead or what the movies show - are fantasy. It's not your life and craving for it makes your own life unpleasant and intolerable. You do not get certain events in your life. Certain things shown in movies never happen to you but you crave for them. I feel it's bad.. I do feel that the movies make us more unhappy than happy because we are constantly fed an alternate world and reality that never exists! We're left craving.

All man wants, at the end of each day, is to probably feel that he has led a very rich life. A rich life does not necessarily entail material prosperity. It includes mostly intangibles. It includes the feeling that one has given his best and been his best. One has moved forward to realize one's goals. One has done his best for his friends and family. One has contributed to society and done less harm to society and the environment. One needs to love and feel loved in return. One needs to feel warm and cozy wherever he is. Then, one can claim to have a rich life.


No comments:

Post a Comment